Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Heartbreaking Costs of Having a Fat Pet... One Employees' Journey



I have been working at Manhasset Animal Hospital for about a year and a half now.  I see all sorts of animals in all shapes and sizes walk through the door needing all levels of care. I revolve my life around animals at work, and also at home, having 3 dogs and 4 cats.

For all the years I have owned these animals, their weight has never really been an issue.  I fed them 2 meals a day, whatever latest and greatest wholistic dog food or cat food was out on the market, and gave them treats whenever I felt like it.  Table scraps were frequent. How could they not be? How could I enjoy the  experience of pet ownership without watching those delicious faces stare at me as I ate? and then watch  them with joy and satisfaction as they devoured morsel after morsel of left over veal chop, chicken, meatballs, spaghetti....??  It was true love...true giving... So I thought.

Boy was I wrong!!  I couldn't have been doing my animals a bigger disservice.   My Bulldog and Shih Poo were clearly overweight.  A few years ago they began to suffer from health conditions secondary to being overweight.  They were having trouble getting up, running, even walking.  Eventually both their Cruciate ligaments tore and they  needed surgery. The Shih Poo needed it done twice!  The Bulldog's hips were x-rayed and found to have mild hip displasia.  My Vet bills were soaring, and my dogs were suffering.  I still kept on feeding them haphazardly.  I admit it, the Bulldogs rolls "looked cute"  I was in somewhat of denial. A year after the cruciate surgeries the Shih Poo had surgery for a "floating" knee cap.  One day I noticed he was "skipping" when he walked, would lick his knees constantly, and would sometimes just give up, sit down, and wait for me to pick him up and carry him.  What I didn't realize was that his joints were weakening from all the added weight.


It came to a point where I coudn't even take these dogs on a walk.  The bulldog's breathing became so labored and his gait became awkward and lethargic.  I didn't think he would make it home.  It was clear his quality of life was suffering.

It's not only at home that I noticed these overweight animals and their health problems.  It was (and is)  also at work.  I began to read and research.  Here are some interesting facts that I found about overweight animals and health:

  • About half of all dogs and cats in American homes are overweight or obese, up slightly from 2010, according to a recent study by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention. In a nation of 170 million pets, many of them as beloved as children, roughly 85 million are carrying too much weight. And many pet owners are finding that the extra pounds on a pudgy cat or dog can lead to severe – and costly – health problems.
  • Being overweight shortens a dog’s life expectancy, according to new research by the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition.  Overweight dogs were found to suffer a reduction in life expectancy of up to ten months compared to ideal weight dogs. Being overweight in middle age can have potentially far-reaching consequences for a dog’s life span, highlighting the importance of maintaining dogs at a healthy body weight throughout life. This was particularly pronounced in five breeds – Labrador, Shih Tzu, American Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever and Beagle,”  
  • Overweight pet health problems mirror human ones.  For example, Just as diabetes and heart disease are more common in people who are obese, these diseases also are more common in overweight animals. The average cost of veterinary care for a diabetic dog or cat in 2011 was more than $900, according to Petplan USA, a pet insurance company.
  • Some of the most popular breeds – Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Yorkshire terriers – are susceptible to orthopedic problems for genetic reasons, but these problems occur earlier and more severely with pets that are overweight.

 I immediately put my Bulldog on a weight loss management plan through Hills Metabolic Diet Dog Food that we use for our patients at the hospital.  I was told to stick to the program completely and there would be definite success.  No cheating!  I've dieted for myself so many times, it would be a  piece of cake! (no pun intended) to do it for my dog.

Maybe not!  The minute he began to look at me with those pleading eyes saying "a little hamburger please???"  I began to melt.  But as time went on I realized he wasn't suffering at all. "IT WAS ALL IN MY HEAD!"  If I kept on the path of obesity he would really be suffering, and I would lose my beloved companion.


I am thrilled to report that after 3 months on the Metabolic Diet he has lost 7 lbs! and  My Shih Poo is next!


          BEFORE                                                           AFTER (and still going!)



  He is down from 3 back rolls to 2!  Better yet he is spunkier, can walk a nice long distance, move more fluidly and has had improved breathing and allergies.


**Call Manhasset Animal Hospital Today to learn more about Hills Metabolic Weight Loss Plan**

516-627-0057





We examined a broad range of popular breeds of all shapes and sizes and found that overweight dogs tend to have a shorter life expectancy. This was particularly pronounced in five breeds – Labrador, Shih Tzu, American Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever and Beagle,” said lead scientist at the Waltham Centre, Carina Salt. “In order to ensure the findings were representative of dogs in the family home, we used data from a large number of pet dogs collected during visits to their veterinarian. The research highlights the very real consequences of being overweight for dogs in the family home. Key tips for combating excess weight and keeping your dog fit and healthy include carefully controlling food portions in line with the pack feeding guidelines, regular exercise appropriate for your dog’s needs and regular weighing sessions. Owners concerned about their dog’s weight should speak to a veterinarian.” - See more at: http://k9fitclub.com/blog/new-pet-nutrition-research-shows-overweight-dogs-shorter-lives/#sthash.9G5k00TR.dpuf
We examined a broad range of popular breeds of all shapes and sizes and found that overweight dogs tend to have a shorter life expectancy. This was particularly pronounced in five breeds – Labrador, Shih Tzu, American Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever and Beagle,” said lead scientist at the Waltham Centre, Carina Salt. “In order to ensure the findings were representative of dogs in the family home, we used data from a large number of pet dogs collected during visits to their veterinarian. The research highlights the very real consequences of being overweight for dogs in the family home. Key tips for combating excess weight and keeping your dog fit and healthy include carefully controlling food portions in line with the pack feeding guidelines, regular exercise appropriate for your dog’s needs and regular weighing sessions. Owners concerned about their dog’s weight should speak to a veterinarian.” - See more at: http://k9fitclub.com/blog/new-pet-nutrition-research-shows-overweight-dogs-shorter-lives/#sthash.9G5k00TR.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment